On or Off Mask Safety
There's a proper way to put your mask on and take it off
Follow these tips to keep your mask working for you.
Putting on your face mask
You don’t want to infect your sterilized mask while putting in on so follow these steps
- Wash your hands before putting on your mask. Using soap and water, scrub up for two seconds (hum two rounds of Happy Birthday). You can also use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer and rub your hands together,
- Take out your mask and check it for any defects: tears in the fabric, broken loops, nose wires poking out.
- Make sure the metallic nose bridge is on top of the mask with the coloured side of the mask facing out.
- If you mask has
- Elastic bands: Take the top band and put it against the back of your head at the crown. Take the bottom band and put it against the nape of your neck.
- Ties: Holding the mask by the upper strings, tie them to the crown of your head using a bow. Tie the bottoms strings near the nape of your neck with a bow.
- Ear loops: Hold the mask by both ear loops and place one loop over each ear.
- Once the mask is one securely, pinch the bendable metallic strip to the shape of your nose and press down.
- Pull the mask over your mouth and chin making sure it fits snugly against your face. There should be gaps on the sides, top or bottom of the masks.
- Once the mask is comfortably on your face – NO TOUCHING. If for any reason you have to touch the mask while wearing it, wash your hands first. Also wash your hands afterwards.
- When the mask is damp, replace it with a new one.
Taking off your face mask
You don’t want to infect yourself by transferring any Covid germs from your mask to your hands or face when taking off your mask. Here’s how to prevent that from happening:
- Before taking off your mask, wash your hands for 20 seconds using soap and water (hum two rounds of Happy Birthday). You can also use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer and rub your hands together.
- Since the mask might be contaminated, avoid touching it directly. Use the straps instead.
- Using the straps, carefully remove the mask:
- Elastic bands: remove the bottom bad first by lifting it over head, followed by the top band
- Ties: untie the bottom bow first and then the top bow
- Ear loops: unhook both ear loops, one at a time.
- Holding the mask by the straps put it into a covered trash bin.
- Thoroughly wash your hands again or use hand sanitizer.